TheJump.Net

Friendliest Hunting Fishing Forum Around!
Share |

deer hunting forum hunting and fishing forum
It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 08:46

Official Hunting And Fishing Time is UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 19:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As of this morning's report some 97,000 barrels of oily liquid have now been recovered. Not new but oh well.

BP estimates oil burned so far amounts to 9,150 barrels of oil (a barrel is 42 gallons).

Here is a quote I got from BP:
Quote:
'Efforts to recover oil through the riser tube intervention should occur by the weekend. I'm not sure of the precise sequencing of the attempts to use the riser tube and top hat. There're no mechanical issues that I am aware of with the top hat. We are working several of the solutions in parallel and will report the results.'

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 08:55 
State Record!
State Record!

I heard this morning that some of the oil could reach the Marshes this weekend. Have you heard that? Of course you don't know what to believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 08:57 
State Record!
State Record!

Omega, have you seen these pics?

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... n_the.html

I almost didn't click on this link, thinking "what pics would Boston have that I haven't seen?" Well obviously the best ones I've seen so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 10:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes some oil has reached the central Louisiana coast recently that is true. I had not seen those particular pictures.

Most of the coast is fine and free of oil.

Update... actually a correction. The amount of oil burned I am now told should have been 13,000 barrels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 14:57 
All-Tackle World Record
All-Tackle World Record

I HAVE A MASSIVE CONCERN THAT WHILE ALL OF THESE PEOPLE FLOOD ONTO THESE REMOTE ISLANDS TO PROTECT THEM THAT THE ISLANDS MAY TIP OVER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 15:41 
State Record!
State Record!

Doug, didn't that recently happen to Guam? :lol: :roflgif

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 May 2010, 19:51 
All-Tackle World Record
All-Tackle World Record

:upgif

Post subject: May 16th update
PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 14:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BP tried to capture some of the flow of oil Friday night but ran into trouble when something shifted and they had to retrieve the insertion tube to make modifications. BP was a bit vague on what exactly went wrong.

Saturday night BP was successful in getting the insertion tube inserted into the pipe but it late came out. Possibly due to pressure build up in the riser??? Or possibly due to the insertion tube acting like a jet nozzle when the gas under tremendous pressure from the depth expanded in the tube leading to the drill ship??? Both of those explanations are just my thoughts.

The tube has since be reinserted. Prior to the tube being blown out of the riser BP was able to capture some of the flow. The tube has since been reinserted and oil recovery efforts are underway.

The ship is basically a floating oil rig. The gas will be flared like some rigs regularly do and the oil will be collected in the ships holds. Hope to hear good news soon.

It was theorized by BP that they would be able to capture 75% of the oil using this method. Of course that is subject to change as this has never been tried at any depth and the amount of oil flowing out is unknown and the amount of entrained gas in the oil is also unknown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 16:42 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some oil is being captured. Sea will be light tomorrow so recovery on the surface should be full steam tomorrow.

It will be awhile before we are told how much is being captured and how much is not being captured.

They are slowly increasing the amount being captured. I would guess this is so if the riser takes in to much that hydrates could form and they would need to know how fast they can recover without plugging things up. If they proceed to fast the next attempt they wouldn't have as firm a grasp on what the limits are.

Also if they are right at the tipping point they might be able to recognize that and back off.

Or that could be totally wrong and it could be they have to make sure dangerous conditions do not develop on the surface. We don't need another explosion killing more people.

Anyway here is some video take by some recreational fisherman that were fishing at that rig when all hell broke loose.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid163.photobucket.com/albums/t285/aandryiii/Deep%20Water%20Horizon/DWH.flv" allowscriptaccess="never"></embed>

Post subject: May 24th Update
PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 13:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leak is still spewing oil. Top Kill is scheduled to be performed Wednesday by BP. The Top Kill and or Junk Shot if needed has been pushed back continually.

A whole lot of anger has been directed towards BP lately as frustration grows on this leak not being stopped already. I do not hear anyone professionally criticizing BP for not doing some other form of leak stoppage. BP has so far not denied any claims. Many are still pending but so far none have been denied. I believe some of those claims are fraudulent that BP has paid.

I also believe that BP will not pursue fraud or deny fraudulent claims unless they are very blatant due to the possibility of negative media publicity it could entail... even when they are right.

BP is without a doubt the responsible party. BP cause this leak. Be made at them for that. But the frustration directed at them on stopping the leak I believe is misguided. When it is all said a done it will most likely be shown that BP could have stopped this earlier had they done X,Y or Z. But that is inevitable when dealing with something like this. I believe BP is doing the best they can to stop this leak... and obviously it is in their best interest.

But let me tell you where your anger should be directed. At the federal government. They are partially responsible for the accident happening in the first place. They did not do their job as it is defined. I am not going to get into the particulars here but the fell down on the job of doing their responsibilities before the accident occurred.

Also and even worse in my opinion is their short coming in dealing with the oil response. 70 miles of Louisiana coast has now been impacted by the oil. It is a shame to say that a large percentage of that damage to wetlands could have been prevented if it wasn't for the bureaucratic red tape of the corps permitting process.

ONE sand berm has been completed along the Louisiana coast by the national guard. I am speaking of Elmers Island. A sand barrier was built and in front of it is boom, absorbant boom and something called pompoms. The oil has made its way past all of the barriers and onto the sand barrier but not beyond. Oil on a beach can simply be scooped up like cat piss in a litter box. But when the oil makes it to the marshes it is like cleaning, oil from a living rug. Well living for a while anyway.

The Governor of Louisiana, Bobby Jindal, has been trying to get the Corps to issue an emergency dredging permit to build sand berms to protect the marsh. The red tape still has this project delayed. So while the stupid ass federal government looks at whether this is a good idea or not the wetlands that the corps process is suppose to protect are being needlessly killed due to their inaction.

Be pissed at that!!!

Approval will likely come in a couple more days, after weeks of waiting. Wouldn't it be ironic if approval is granted the same day they plug the leak. Time line looks favorable for that to actually happen.

To little to late! Direct you anger at the Feds they are as much to blame for the actual damage as BP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 19:11 
All-Tackle World Record
All-Tackle World Record

I hear you Mike. Look I know things are bad. I Love the Marsh and hope that they top kill goes well. Honestly in my professional opinion it is BP's best shot at stopping this well short of the relief well. I really believe it will work. BP is taking their time and ensuring that it will be done in the most efficient manner to allow the best chance of success. It takes time to get all the pieces into play for this procedure. They want to ensure they have all their ducks in a row and that every thing is done safely. The LAST thing they need is for someone to be hurt or killed trying to stop this well. Also the equipment they will use should be tested prior to use to ensure it can handle the pressures they will be working with at that depth. Lets all Pray they are successful.

On another note. I don't understand why the Government is not taking this opportunity to have BP pay to rebuild our barrier Islands? We all understand what the situation is due to Coastal Erosion. Here is the perfect opportunity to have something done about it on BP's nickel. WTH!?! is wrong with the Politicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 21:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good news. As of 4pm ish the pressure in the well has dropped off tremendously. Right now they should have about 12 more hours of mud left on site.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Official Hunting And Fishing Time is UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]